A friend posted this message titled Why Moms of Special Needs Kids Rock!
I responded with what is below it…..
Why moms of special needs kids ROCK!
1. Because they never thought that “doing it all” would mean doing this much. But they do it all, and then some.
2. Because they’ve discovered patience they never knew they had.
3. Because they are willing to do something 10 times, 1,000 times if that’s what it takes for their kids to learn something new.
4…. Because they have heard doctors tell them the worst, and they’ve refused to believe them.
5. Because they have bad days and breakdowns and bawl fests, then they pick themselves up and keep right on going.
6.Because they manage to get themselves together and out the door looking pretty damn good. Heck, they even make sweatpants look attractive.
7.Because they are strong. Who knew they could be this strong?
8.Because they aren’t just moms, wives, cleaners, chauffeurs, cooks and women who work. They are also physical therapists, speech therapists, occupational therapists, teachers, nurses, researchers, coaches and cheerleaders.
9.Because they understand their kids better than anyone else does – even if they can’t talk or gesture or look them in the eye. They know. They just know.
10.Because just when it seems like things are going OK, they’re suddenly not, but they deal. They deal even when it seems like their heads or hearts might explode.
11.Because when they look at their kids they just see great kids.
This is to all the moms I know that ROCK!!!!!!
1. we only do as much as possible, gratefully the rest is done by our wonderful friends and family.
2. we beg, plead, and scrounge for more patience each minute……when necessary we retreat to the backyard or garage or bathroom with a towel over our mouth to scream until patience returns.
3. on 999 someone gives us the encouragement we need to “just keep swimming”
4. we might let the worst soak into our bones, but we bury those bones under lots of flesh, muscle and tough skin and never let the “worst” find its path to our hearts and souls.
5. because others give us their shoulders to cry on, hands to hold, & arms to enfold us and they pat our backs, dry our tears, restore our laughter, and sing us the song that has disappeared from our spirit.
6. hee hee…..I just think this one is ludicrous…..BUT….on a good day we remember our undies and manage to brush our teeth, we might actually use preparation H instead of Crest, but hey, the motion is there!
7. others seem to know we are stronger than we think
8. anyone with a child does exactly the same, just different parts of these things to varying degrees
9. and we love those who attempt to understand our kids and who can point out things that we miss because we are too consumed with whatever we are consumed with at the moment. there are some very good things I might have missed if they had not been pointed out to me by kind, compassionate others
10. It’s the Scarlett O’Hara philosophy….Thank you, Margaret Mitchell for getting me through each day!! ~~I’ll not think about that right now. I’ll go crazy if I do. I’ll think about that tomorrow. After all… tomorrow is another day.
11. AMEN, no argument from me!
This is why friends of moms of special needs kids ROCK! you cannot possibly fathom the impact you have on our lives…..think about it, try to imagine it, then know that if you multiplied that by the largest amount possible it still wouldn’t be enough.
PS….my definition of friends: all of you who support me….including but not limited to, all family members, best buddies old and new, medical and educational people who happen across my path, anyone I run into in the Library, grocery store, pool, or parking lot who gets sucked in by my WOO 🙂